Thursday, February 12, 2009

Eureka!

Cristina's Victorian Romance?

Okay, so I'm re-watching 5x14 [Beat our Heart Out] right now. And I came to an immediate realization.

Upon first watching, I thought 'why the hell is this creepy music playing every single time that Cristina and Hunt lay eyes on one another?'. And then, it made sense.

At the beginning of the episode, when Cristina and Meredith are talking about Ellis's journal, Cristina says:

"...it's kind of...uhm.. hot. Actually. but like chastely hot...it's all stolen glances and illuded exchanges. The thing reads like a Victorian romance novel.."

And it clicked.

Cristina and Hunt are comparable to Ellis and Richard in the respect that they're hiding what they have. Meredith, for the most part, is the only one who knows there is something going on there. And now, there is the introduction of this woman who spooks Hunt, which leaves me to think that maybe he isn't so honest about his love like as we'd like. They're hiding from everyone.




Every time their eyes meet, there is the music. They walk together, their hands brush. It's a small gesture, one that nobody else would think anything of. Yet, it speaks novels with the brush of their fingers. This is Cristina's Victorian Romance, complete with cheesy music.



I only caught on because I listened deeper into the music, and I was like 'this is something they'd play in Pride or Prejudice' and it fell into place.

Now maybe I'm completely wrong in this assumption. Or maybe someone else caught this before I did. But I had an epiphany and I had to share it somewhere, with people I know would understand it just as I had.

The more I think about it, the more I find myself comparing Cristina to Ellis. And I don't know necessarily if that is a good thing, but Cristina circa the earlier seasons had the same drive for her work, the same kind of cold attitude towards her relationship with Burke. I just wonder if maybe there is more to Shonda's Cristina than we're catching onto.

But maybe I'm just overthinking. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I actually realized it while watching (sorry to burst your bubble) and also started to suspect the whole chris/ellis parallel that's been going on...especially in Season 3 when Chris said she loves Mer's mom, and Chris asked her if it's possible to have both, and she took Ellis's answer seriously. The whole Hunt/Christina thing is fascinating to me b/c he's so vulnerable and she's actually reaching out to take care of him, whereas if this would have been at the beginning, she would have been like, what a lame ass loser! He can't even keep it together long enough to walk down the hall.

    Um.....I had something else that I wanted to add, but short term memory loss is kicking in and I don't remember. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in honor of your epiphany here is what i made as soon as screen caps were made available ;)

    http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/McEverything/siggies/crisowen.gif

    ReplyDelete